Eucharistic celebrations highlight Mt. Carmel Parish Fiesta Activities
(July 15, 2017)
Mt. Carmel Parish, Cebu City—On the eve of the feast , a packed Mt. Carmel Parish Church solemnly enjoyed the celebration of the Feast of Mt. Carmel. Most Rev. Jose Palma, Archbishop of Cebu, was the main celebrant for the occasion, and he gave an excellent homily and said as always a beautiful Mass. We were also very pleased to have very solemn music provided by both the choir from University of San Jose and the parish choir.
The Mass gave thanks for 46 years of existence as a parish and to everyone involved in the life and spirit of the parish community.
In his homily, Archbishop Palma said: “Jesus gave his mother to us to be our own mother, too. And so we have a good reason to pause and give thanks for this great gift and for many other things, particularly those gifts of mercy offered, shared and received through our Mother’s intercession.”
Archbishop Palma emphasized on the mercy that underpins Mary’s work and reminded attendees and devotees that each of us is "more than the worst thing we’ve ever done". Yet, in our Mother’s heart and eyes (so with every human mother’s eye and heart) it does not matter if by nature we are weak and so full of flaws since it is Jesus living in our soul that enables the person to love God in a most beautiful fashion and to love others.
(As supplement to his sharing, he mentioned that the original devotion to Mount Carmel was brought to the Philippines by the Recollect friars).
The Mass was followed by a convivial dinner at the Recoletos convent where the Recollect friars welcomed the visitors, mostly active workers of the parish, with simple foodstuffs. Dining with the Archbishop and parishioners provided the friars much opportunity for learning, sharing and, importantly, building community.
Pontifical Mass will be presided by Most Rev. Dennis C. Villarojo, D.D. on the feast day itself at 9:30 A.M., July 16.
PROVINCIALATE—Last July 7, 2017, Most Rev. Nereo Odchimar, D.D. of the Diocese of Tandag and Fray Dionisio Selma OAR representing the Recollect Province of St. Ezekiel Moreno signed a Memorandum of Agreement for a pastoral ministry. This ministry entrusted to the Recoletos covers “the full pastoral charge of the Quasi Parish of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel” in Hinatuan, Surigao del Sur.
Dasmariñas City – July 5, 2017. Located in the commercial district of Cavite Province, Dasmariñas City celebrates the 150th foundation of its city and parish.
The celebration of the Holy Mass started at 5:00 PM with his Eminence, Luis Antonio Cardinal Tagle, DD, as main celebrant and homilist. Together with him were Bishop Pedro Arigo, DD, Bishop Emeritus of the Vicariate of Puerto Princesa, Bishop Manuel Sobreviñas, DD, Bishop Emeritus of the Diocese of Imus, and Very Rev. Fr. Dionsio Q. Selma, OAR, prior provincial of the Augustinian Recollect Province of St. Ezekiel Moreno, and a good number of concelebrating priests. Present were various parish organizations and religious congregations. Government officials graced also the occasion.
During the Spanish colonial period, the city of Dasmariñas formerly belonged to the Augustinian Recollect Hacienda known as “Hacienda de San Juan Bautista de Imus” and it was called Perez-Dasmariñas. The inhabitants of the town were tenants of the Imus Hacienda.
Pérez-Dasmariñas originated from the mother town, Imus. In 1866, a group of nipa houses belonging to the barrios of Imus – Malagasag, Salitrán, Salacay, Paliparan, Malinta and Nancaan – were relocated and regrouped in a reducción (settlement) in barrio Tampus. This barrio was selected as the original site of the town of Pérez-Dasmariñas. It was here that the relocated residents elected their own gobernadorcillo and other local officials. When the physical organization of the residents was accomplished, the settlement was elevated to a civil town in 1867. The town was named after the Gomez Pérez Dasmariñas, governor-general of the Philippines (a. 1590-1593). That same year, i.e., 1867, the town became a canonical parish under the pastoral care of the Augustinian Recollects. The parish church and convent were constructed of stones and bricks, and the town's patroness is La Inmaculada Concepción.